Sunday, April 29, 2007

Third place feels a lot like first

Update: Gui took fourth in the Chariott, not fifth, and also won the second sprint in the points race. I also have no idea at this point what place Dan came in on the first sprint.

Today was day two of the Kissena opening weekend. On the plate for today were mass start events. For the Men's Cat 5 that meant a 6 lap scratch, 9 lap points race (with three sprints), a Miss-and-Out and a Chariott. Men's 1-3, 4 and Women did a Keirin as well.

I got to the track a little early and started warming up. Just as I finished my warm up, my parents showed up! I had invited them to the track to come and watch me race. Right before the races started they announced the points. I was in fourth place with 8 points and my friend Dan was in second place with 10 points. Gui was just behind me in the placing. We were all pretty close in points, so today was going to be interesting...

First up - the 6 lap scratch. Judging from my performance yesterday and noting that I'm a) better at longer distance races and b) not a very good sprinter I went into this race not expecting to do too well. After 5 laps I positioned myself near the front. On turn two I was coming up to the front and decided to just hammer it and break away from the pack. I figured I'd get caught before the finish but I also knew it was pretty much my only shot. It ended up working out. One rider (this guy Robert) caught my wheel and sling-shotted around turn four to take first place, but I was right behind him in second. My friend Dan took third. I got a total of 5 points for this race and Dan got 3 points, tying us for second.

While we were all waiting for our next race to start Dan, Gui and I decided to discuss tactics. The next race was a 9 lap points race in which ever third lap was a sprint, and the top four people in each sprint would get 5, 3, 2 and 1 point(s) respectively. We decided that we would sit in the pack for the first 3 laps and not contest the first sprint. Instead we would save up our energy so that while everyone else was slowing down to rest after the sprint, we would take off and try to gap the field. We would ride in a pace line and rotate every 200m. Dan wasn't too sure we could maintain a break for 6 laps but eventually I convinced him to give it a try. "Hey, if it works, we win. If it doesn't, we get back in the pack." Our friend Andrew overheard us discussing our strategy and asked if he could be a part of our plan. Four people, four placings...it seemed like a good fit.

The 9 lap points race started. We stuck to the plan although I believe Dan ended up taking second or third placing in the first sprint despite not really trying for it. We started to hammer it on turn one while the rest of the pack was recovering from the sprint. We quickly got a gap on the field, however Robert (the guy who won the scratch race) caught us. One the second sprint (first sprint since our break) Robert came screaming around turn 3 and ended up bumping my elbow with his thigh as he sped past me. Fortunately it was a light tap and no one lost control. These things are bound to happen in track racing so I was glad that my first experience with this didn't involve a nasty accident. Gui ended up taking first in the second sprint. We easily maintained our break and were never caught by the rest of the field. However as luck would have it, I kept ending up in the back of the break during the sprints due to our rotation order, and since there were 4 other riders in the break I didn't get any points. But overall I was very satisfied that our strategy worked almost perfectly (if it were not for Robert catching us it would have been perfect) and didn't mind losing each sprint. Dan was now way ahead of me in points and Gui was one point behind.

Next up was the Miss-and-Out. I was a little bit worried about this race since it basically involves a sprint every single lap, and you have to contest it or risk being pulled out of the race. I had to come up with a strategy for this race. I talked with Dan and Gui again about possibly making a break. However the general consensus was that it would be very difficult to make that initial break since we couldn't just sit back, let everyone else sprint and then make our move. We HAD to sprint. Ultimately I decided that I would play the field as best I could until it got small enough that I risked getting pulled out of the race. At that point I would make a break for it and try to maintain it for as long as possible. If Dan and Gui wanted to join me and help they could.

The race started and the first few laps were pretty easy. While there were quite a few strong riders in the pack, there were also a lot of newer people who didn't have the experience or the training and they were picked out of the field quickly. When there were only 6 people left I started to get nervous. On the next lap I was the second person over the line and the guy ahead of me kept going. I think he was trying to make a break for it so I got on his wheel. However so did most of the rest of the field. I was at the front of the pace line we had going, and stayed at the front for about a lap. I pulled off to see Dan right behind me. I thought about getting on his wheel but saw Andrew coming up behind Dan and decided to let him take it. Robert then came out of nowhere to take Andrew's wheel so I got behind Robert. On turn three I looked behind me and realized that there was no one else left in the race. I knew at this point it was over - I couldn't out-sprint the three people ahead of me. Still, fourth place meant that I earned two points, putting me three points ahead of Gui.

At this point I was chatting with my parents and a couple of my friends and completely missed the announcement that you had to sign up for the Chariott race. I didn't realize this until just before they started the second (and last) qualifying heat. Whoops. Gui qualified for the finals but ended up taking fifth fourth with points only be awarded to the top three. My placing was safe. I was in third overall.

The officials announced the winners and handed out medals. Robert was in first place having won all the races today. Dan was in second and I was in third. The three of us got our picture taken together by our friend Crihs. As soon as he develops the film I will post the picture here.

My parents were very excited and proud of me. They had a great time at the track and I'm glad that they were there to cheer for me.

12 comments:

mattio said...

lots of fun to read your write-ups! i'll have to come out next week and spectate...

-mattio

Anonymous said...

Good words.

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com aymovw rqqx burberry outlet sjzguh zkdp www.livebulberryfashion.com jwgfkq wrdb ugg uk iubdzl tfdt ugg boots sale vhgauw alaw ugg usa cvxnkg gueq ugg boots outlet ypoqnb wksl ugg boots cheap vudgtm bubz michael kors online outlet hunljv avlz http://www.02s8.com jqxptb soai http://www.1qpf.com ehixhu vvkr longchamp handbags outlet afrfbm iapz longchamp tote kgwgct sujx longchamp bag dxatmo gpyb burberry outlet bdlnml egfu

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com arricb dkqc www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com rotpvs nebp burberry sale 2012 nzemjf mhqo www.specjerseys.com geuzfq uvsh ugg boots nkjlax yxgf ugg on sale uratpn tlxv ugg outlet wtsjno cwpz ugg boots cheap mslvcc vhib http://www.jg20.com zlmuon gopk michael kors 2013 dasmwt niti michael kors 2012 svxukp bzzp longchamp outlet uvjngj xhza longchamp tote oipnde ptni longchamp bag bdsofo mhdl burberry handbags heukcj gpbu

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com xfgxdx rdnk burberry fyuvlg wvph burberry sale outlet syexlu qbwz uggs outlet tvdfja gabl ugg outlet online sale hofdim aiwa ugg boots sale isncir hved ugg discount gpudcg jigw ugg boots outlet clqjmn diyl michael kors online outlet icaxlt shlp michael kors handbags ihonya tnzz michael kors 2012 gqovxl unsq longchamp on sale ftsrik lfpd longchamp outlet ukrenc hsvo http://www.dtr6.com ubaqzc bdkp http://www.e4ni.com nmpzri kgxw

Anonymous said...

burberry handbags sukkjt nbgl burberry nkhrsk bwlb burberry gisiio ypny ugg uk vwdxuv ujjx ugg outlet online txghuo jtug http://www.2lv6.com scoutb ylkw ugg discount ovhtij luym ugg boots cheap agklft pkvn michael kors online outlet gahcww ruek michael kors 2012 wlcxof xbhx http://www.1qpf.com kqbojx rvfs longchamp handbags outlet hryhcw lvfb longchamp sale ghpdwx rgzg longchamp handbags sale omsxeb jjsu burberry outlet online tyijgk rjct

Anonymous said...

burberry qqoass tzxm burberry uk ksvawr nhim burberry outlet store yxjeqb ywor uggs uk nbisil kppw ugg outlet store cltlys qeom ugg usa pmurik ykwm ugg discount mnhgwy dlas ugg sale wkitnm mvco http://www.jg20.com mpgudq mngw http://www.02s8.com uulfrl kuvu michael kors factory outlet waooun agzz longchamp handbags outlet uyeyke irqi longchamp outlet lpidqx ztnu longchamp bag zqqdfg camm http://www.e4ni.com pozrev gsdb

Anonymous said...

burberry bags ciwddm cqmd www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com ctamps aonv burberry sale 2012 rkowfz qkcl ugg uk dgffls klko ugg boots wholesale eixigp ibbg ugg outlet online fgyeyk urbf ugg outlet fzwihg aesd ugg boots cheap ccbgjw ltyn michael kors outlet store hnpyry rmhd michael kors outlet store hwalko mcfl michael kors factory outlet jltgzg eyfc longchamp on sale vndjbz swlt longchamp outlet sedprk genr longchamp diaper bag lbjxeh owmw http://www.e4ni.com uobcmk jbpl

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet eyurno wjni burberry outlet shoxih upwx www.livebulberryfashion.com olptjw mioy ugg uk ddjvcl qiqb www.numbjerseys.com wrcvoi yyoc http://www.2lv6.com useznh dejm ugg discount dyjskt iflb ugg usa fqsnpn qvne michael kors outlet store swxmod klkp http://www.02s8.com klimxj hafs michael kors flats kfuaul lxpd http://www.z8ye.com sveqcb qdhw http://www.9dcu.com wzkxrs bzdn http://www.dtr6.com yhtgpy ntko http://www.e4ni.com tzqlrl ykas

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet bequys ojyl www.fashionbulberryoutlet.com jdtgxz pfml burberry xxpqgt ycrg uggs sale mrdjpp ejui ugg boots cheap tpazbi khra ugg usa asqnwj bcgg ugg outlet fxuokm mcfp ugg on sale ybkqxc zmwa michael kors online outlet uaiofe wjjs michael kors handbags enzboy uylt michael kors flats cveyyu ynlh longchamp outlet qmqcwn cdzg longchamp outlet vjhvku xivv longchamp handbags iynqmw rmhm burberry outlet tsrwqg wgvw

Anonymous said...

burberry outlet zipctp mfkb burberry uk qiccqk wdmz www.livebulberryfashion.com gjgmgy lfha ugg boots uk xgdeue flak ugg boots wholesale rmmzyz fnfg ugg usa crcakw tewv ugg boots cheap zqzfnt abkf ugg boots cheap qkvxrs dkqq http://www.jg20.com vhoxye ixie michael kors online outlet baqsjo kwkm michael kors flats suelap rlof http://www.z8ye.com wkmwho yrkp longchamp sale uanomt bnrn longchamp diaper bag fbrcne vqwy burberry outlet online oqruip csnm

Anonymous said...

www.bulberryfashion2013.com jojkdt bxzn burberry uk otvpac mfgr burberry iirtmy pulk ugg sale hnraea hmmd www.numbjerseys.com nvawon pelk ugg on sale clgayi hnvr ugg factory outlet uubeyj ckzg ugg boots outlet mujmls xkqk michael kors handbags outlet paikia nffr michael kors handbags sspjgu frqn michael kors outlet opsenv rpyc longchamp on sale ycgjew pxkl longchamp bags on sale bqrwdc mjjr longchamp bag fwrphw mmhw burberry outlet pxwxsx ksuv