Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Lactate Threshold Heart Rate

Last night I went to Prospect Park to perform a Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (LTHR) test and calculate my LTHR. I chose Prospect Park because Central Park is being repaved and PP is also the perfect distance for such a test (3.3 miles, so 1 lap will take 10 minutes at 20mph).

To calculate my LTHR I followed the test outlined in The Cyclist's Training Bible - do a 30 minute time trial and record the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes. I set the timer on my heart rate monitor for 10 minutes and set it to start the chronometer one the timer finished. I started at Grand Army Plaza and finished a little over 1 lap when the 10 minutes was up. I figured I had a little over 2 laps left before I hit 30 minutes total.

During the time trial I occasionally looked at my watch and noticed that my heart rate was typically between 164 and 174bpm. On the downhill it would get as low as 156 and on the uphill I hit 189 at one point.

In the end my average for the last 20 minutes of the time trial was 171bpm. I'll use that figure for training purposes until I get a chance to run the test again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you lactating?

Niki said...

Yes, but I secret gel-based foods instead of milk.